A career banker, Manimekhalai rose through the ranks at various state-run banks.
Here are eight things you should know about her:
- She began her career at the erstwhile Vijaya Bank as an Officer in 1988 and rose to leadership positions such as Branch Head, regional head and functional head of various departments at the corporate office.
- Prior to being elevated as ED of , she was General Manager of Vijaya Bank and headed the Bangalore north region.
, Back to recommendation stories
- Before joining the Union Bank of India, Manimekhalai was the Executive Director at Canara Bank, wherein she was in charge of strategic planning, credit, inspection, marketing and financial inclusion.
- Over the years, she has played a pivotal role in the successful amalgamation of Canara Bank and Syndicate Bank,
- She was instrumental in devising and implementing strategic policies, covering core areas like strategic planning, setting organizational goals, growth strategies, action plans, compliance, internal control, etc., Union Bank of India said in a statement.
- She also has an extensive record as the Director on Board of five other companies namely Canbank Factors Ltd, Canbank., Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance Co. Ltd., General lnsurance Corporation of India, lndia Ltd. and Trustee, Canara Robeco Asset Management Co.
- A Manimekhalai’s appointment was instrumental in the sense that there was previously a serious lack of female representation in the banking sector, especially in key leadership roles and her appointment will usher in better overall participation of women in the workforce.